Robert Lewandowski was at his clinical best in the Champions League clash against Red Star Belgrade as the forward scored four goals in the span of 14 minutes and doing so broke a plethora of records. The Polish striker has been in the form of his life this season and is scoring goals for fun. Robert Lewandowski has scored 27 goals in 19 appearances this season and has been the main focal point in attack for Bayern Munich. The victory against Red Star sealed the Bavarians’ passage in the knockout phase of the competition and confirmed them as the group winners. As Lewandowski continued his scoring barrage we take a look at the records broken by him in the Champions League. UEFA Champions League 2019-20: Chelsea Made to Wait For Last 16 Spot After Thrilling 2-2 Draw in Valencia.
This was Lewandowski’s second quadruple in the Champions League, with the first coming against Spanish giants Real Madrid in the semi-finals of 2013. The Poland captain’s four-peat helped Bayern demolish Red Star 6-0 and confirm their place in the round of 16 as Group B winners. Leon Goretzka and Corentin Tolisso scored on either side of Lewandowski’s four goals. The Polish number nine also broke a Bundesliga record of scoring in most consecutive games earlier in the season when the forward netted in 11-straight matches. The previous record was held by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Borussia Dortmund as he scored in eight consecutive matches. Lionel Messi Becomes First Player to Score Against 34 Different Team in UCL.
Records Broken By Robert Lewandowski
- Robert Lewandowski scored the fastest four-goal haul in Champions League history against Red Star, it took just 14 minutes and 31 seconds.
- He became the second player to score in nine consecutive matches in group stages of the Champions League.
- He became the second player to score four goals in a UCL game twice after Lionel Messi.
- He became the fifth all-time leading scorer in Champions League with 63 goals.
- He became Bayern’s all-time leading scorer in the Champions League with 46 goals.
Robert Lewandowski will look to continue his scoring run this coming weekend when the Bavarians welcome fellow Bundesliga giants Bayer Leverkusen. Bayern are currently third in their domestic league, one point behind the league leaders Borussia Monchengladbach.