UK

UK Radio Station Accidentally Announces King Charles III’s Death, Issues Apology

Radio Caroline, a UK radio station, accidentally announced the death of King Charles III after a computer error triggered the country’s 'Death of a Monarch' protocol. The station later apologised, saying the emergency system was activated mistakenly while the King was on an official visit to Northern Ireland.

UK Radio Station Accidentally Announces King Charles III’s Death, Issues Apology
1
2
3
4
5

Radio Caroline, a radio station in the United Kingdom, issued a public apology after mistakenly broadcasting that King Charles III had died, briefly triggering the country's “Death of a Monarch” emergency protocol.

The incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon, May 19, at the station’s main studio in Maldon, Essex. According to station manager Peter Moore, a computer malfunction accidentally activated the emergency procedure used by UK broadcasters in the event of a monarch’s death. The incorrect announcement reportedly stated that “His Majesty King Charles III has passed away”. ‘You’d Be Speaking French’: King Charles Roasts US President Donald Trump With History Joke at White House Dinner (Watch Video).

Station Says Computer Error Triggered Emergency Broadcast

In a social media Apost, Peter Moore explained that the emergency system had been unintentionally activated. “Due to a computer error at our main studio, the Death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (19 May), mistakenly announcing that HM the King had passed away,” Moore wrote.

He added that the station then briefly went off air, as required under the protocol, before staff restored programming and issued an on-air apology. “Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology,” he said. King Charles III To Follow His Mother Queen Elizabeth II’s Lead in Celebrating US-UK Bonds Despite Iran Tensions.

Apology Issued to King and Listeners

The station apologised publicly for the false announcement and any distress it may have caused. “We apologise to HM the king and to our listeners for any distress caused,” Moore said. Radio Caroline also noted its long association with royal broadcasts. “Caroline has been pleased to broadcast Her Majesty the Queen's, and now the king's, Christmas message and we hope to do so for many years to come,” the statement added.

The station manager did not specify how long the incorrect report remained on air. However, according to reports, playback recordings between 1:58 pm and 5:00 pm local time were unavailable on the station’s website following the incident.

The false report aired while King Charles III and Queen Camilla were on a three-day visit to Northern Ireland. The royal couple had been attending events in Belfast and meeting members of the public at the time of the broadcast error. Buckingham Palace has not publicly commented on the incident.

Founded in 1964 as an offshore pirate radio station, Radio Caroline remains one of the UK’s most recognised independent broadcasters.

Rating:3

TruLY Score 3 – Believable; Needs Further Research | On a Trust Scale of 0-5 this article has scored 3 on LatestLY, this article appears believable but may need additional verification. It is based on reporting from news websites or verified journalists (The Guardian ), but lacks supporting official confirmation. Readers are advised to treat the information as credible but continue to follow up for updates or confirmations

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on May 21, 2026 11:08 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).