Libya Death Toll Rises to 213 as Tripoli Fighting Continues: WHO
Security forces patrol in the south of the Libyan capital Tripoli. (Photo Credits: IANS)

Tripoli, April 19: A total of 213 people have been killed and 1,009 others injured in the fighting between the UN-backed Libyan government and the east-based Army in and around the capital Tripoli so far, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday. Jihadists Could Enter Italy As Refugees From Libya, Says PM Giuseppe Conte.

"Tripoli toll is now 213 dead and 1,009 wounded. WHO medical teams continue assisting surgical staff at local hospitals," WHO tweeted. "Two more ambulances have been damaged. WHO calls on all parties in Libya to protect civilians, health workers and health facilities," the agency said. Russia Calls for Calm on ‘All Sides’ in Libya Conflict After 32 People Were Killed in Fighting Near Tripoli.

The Army, led by Khalifa Haftar, has been leading a military campaign since early April to take over Tripoli where the UN-backed government is based. Libya has been struggling to make a democratic transition amid insecurity and chaos ever since the fall of former leader Muammar Gaddafi's regime in 2011.