India News | Odisha Govt Launches 'Bidesh Sikhyabruti' Scheme to Fund Foreign Higher Education for SC, ST Students

Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. The Odisha government on Sunday launched the "Bidesh Sikhyabruti" scholarship scheme to provide financial assistance to Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) students aspiring to pursue higher education at top-ranked global universities, the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) announced on Saturday.

Bidesh Sikhyabruti Scholarship Scheme (Photo/Bihar CMO)

Bhubaneswar (Odisha) [India], August 23 (ANI): The Odisha government on Sunday launched the "Bidesh Sikhyabruti" scholarship scheme to provide financial assistance to Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) students aspiring to pursue higher education at top-ranked global universities, the Chief Minister's Office (CMO) announced on Saturday.

According to a press release issued by the Chief Minister's Office (CMO), under the new initiative, 50 meritorious students from the SC and ST communities will be selected annually to enrol in academic programs at prestigious international institutions ranked among the Top 200 in the QS World University Rankings.

Also Read | Delhi Dance Teacher Jumps Into Yamuna River Over Unpaid iPhone EMI Stress, Rescued by Police.

Each beneficiary under the scheme will receive financial assistance of up to Rs 25 lakh per annum. The scholarship is designed to offer comprehensive financial coverage, taking care of tuition fees, accommodation and living expenses, international travel, medical insurance, and other incidental costs.

Earlier in July, Odisha became the first state in the country to implement a universal free education policy spanning from Kindergarten to Post-Graduation (KG to PG) without any caste, income, or poverty-line restrictions, Higher Education Minister Suryabanshi Suraj said on July 14.

Also Read | Bengaluru Shocker: Man Hacked to Death by Bike-Borne Men at Traffic Signal in Broad Daylight.

Highlighting the inclusive framework of the landmark initiative, the Minister stated that the state government has removed all socioeconomic barriers to ensure every student has unhindered access to quality education.

"We are the first state in India to implement free education from KG to PG. A key feature of this scheme is that we are not imposing any conditions--such as those related to caste, Below Poverty Line (BPL) status, or income limits. Students enrolled in regular courses (excluding self-financing and public-private partnership courses) are eligible to avail the benefits of this scheme," Suraj said.

Elaborating on the primary objective behind the policy, the Minister emphasised that the scheme is aimed at plugging the dropout rate among students transitioning from secondary to higher education due to financial hardships.

"The primary objective is to assist students who lack the financial means to pursue their education or who might otherwise drop out after Class 10 or 12, enabling them to continue their studies and access higher education," the Higher Education Minister added, noting that the initiative will significantly improve the Gross Enrolment Ratio across state colleges and universities. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now