Cairo, Sep 6 (AP) More than 5 million people have been displaced by the monthslong fighting in Sudan, the United Nations' migration agency said on Wednesday as clashes between the country's military and a rival paramilitary force show no sign of easing.

According to the International Organisation for Migration, over 4 million people have been internally displaced since the conflicted erupted in mid-April while another 1.1 million have fled to neighbouring countries. More than 750,000 have travelled to either Egypt or Chad, the agency said.

Also Read | Roman-Era Swords Found: Four Exceptionally Preserved Roman Swords Discovered in Dead Sea Cave in Israel.

International efforts to mediate the conflict have so far failed. There have been at least nine cease-fire agreements since the outbreak and all have broken down.

Sudan was plunged into chaos almost five months ago when long-simmering tensions between the military, led by Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces, commanded by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, escalated into open warfare.

Also Read | Rishi Sunak India Visit: British PM's Family in India Plans for Grand Welcome by Hosting Feast With Lavish Banquets and 'Non-Stop Dancing' to Punjabi Music in New Delhi.

The fighting has reduced Sudan's capital, Khartoum, to an urban battlefield, with neither side managing to gain control of the city.

Formal peace negations mediated by the United States and Saudi Arabia in the kingdom's coastal town of Jeddah were adjourned in late June with both mediators publicly calling out the RSF and the army for continually violating truces they had agreed to.

Meanwhile, in the western Darfur region — the scene of a genocidal campaign in the early 2000s — the conflict has morphed into ethnic violence, with the RSF and allied Arab militias attacking ethnic African groups, according to rights groups and the UN.

Also Wednesday, Alice Wairimu Nderitu, the UN special adviser on the prevention of genocide, expressed concern at ongoing “identity-based attacks” across the country.

“Innocent civilians are being targeted on the basis of race” in Darfur, Nderitu said in a statement. These attacks could amount to war crimes, she added.

In July, Karim Khan, the International Criminal Court's prosecutor, said he was investigating alleged new war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur. (AP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)