London, November 7: The United Kingdom has prohibited entry into the country from Denmark starting Saturday following an outbreak of a new coronavirus strain at Danish mink farms, Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps has said.

Earlier in the week, Denmark decided to cull all its mink population after a mutated strain of the novel coronavirus was found in these animals. The new strain, which can be transmitted to humans, causes weak antibody production potentially undermining the global efforts to develop a vaccine. Some 214 people in northern Denmark were reported to carry the mutation of the coronavirus. Also Read | US Presidential Election Results 2020: ‘Trespassers’ Can be Evicted, Says Biden Campaign in Blunt Warning to Donald Trump.

Grant Shapps' Tweet

"The [UK Home Office] is also announcing that from 0400, Saturday 7th November, visitors arriving into the UK from Denmark will not be permitted entry into the UK. This means all non-British national or resident travellers who have been in or transited through Denmark in the last 14 days will be denied entry by Border Force upon arrival," Shapps tweeted. Also Read | ‘Joe Biden Elected as 46th President of United States’, Claims Decision Desk HQ; Final US Presidential Election Results 2020 Awaited.

Meanwhile, the UK citizens and residents will have to self-quarantine for two weeks along with their family members upon returning from Denmark. On Thursday, the country's government imposed a four-week lockdown for England to counter a spike in COVID-19 cases and deaths.

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)