Kochi, May 21: In a heart-wrenching incident, a five-year-old girl lost her battle with the rare brain infection Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis caused by Naegleria fowleri commonly known as "brain-eating amoeba" at the Government Medical College Hospital in Kerala's Kozhikode on Monday night. The young girl, Fadwa PP, was the daughter of P P Hassan Koya and Fasna from Malappuram's Munniyoor.

According to the report published by the Onmanorama, the deceased girl, Fadwa, had been receiving medical care at the Institute of Maternal and Child Health since May 13. Despite being on ventilator support for over a week and concerted efforts by health officials and her family to procure miltefosine - an essential drug for treatment - her condition deteriorated. Rare Brain Infection PAM Detected in Kerala: Five-Year-Old Girl Gets Infected With Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis After Taking Bath in Moonniyur Lake, Put on Ventilator at Kozhikode Hospital.

Minor Girl Dies of Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis

The hospital also monitored four of Fadwa's relatives for the same condition. Fortunately, they were discharged after testing negative for the disease. The community mourns the loss of young Fadwa, whose last rites are to be held at Juma Masjid in Kadavath. She is survived by her siblings, Famna and Faiha.

What is Rare Brain Infection PAM?

Amoebic Meningoencephalitis, also known as primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) or amoebic meningitis, is a rare and typically fatal brain infection caused by the Naegleria fowleri amoeba. This infection predominantly affects children and young adults exposed to contaminated water. Symptoms, which include loss of smell, headache, neck stiffness, sensitivity to light, nausea, vomiting, disorientation, drowsiness, and seizures, usually manifest within one to two weeks after exposure. Brain-Eating Amoeba: Rare Brain Infection Caused by Free-Living Amoebae Reported in Kerala, Says Government Release.

On May 1, the girl took a bath in the river near her house along with her relatives, it is learnt. On May 10, she was referred to a paediatrician near her residence after developing a fever, headache and vomiting. The girl was admitted to a private hospital in Chelari on May 12 and later shifted to another one in Kozhikode. However, as her health condition worsened, she was rushed to the MCH on the same day for expert treatment.

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on May 21, 2024 10:19 AM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).