The coronavirus outbreak has certainly taken the sporting world by storm as major series and tournaments all around the world have ben cancelled or postponed. COVID-19 is spreading rapidly which even forced many games to be played behind closed doors or empty stadiums. Sportspersons were insisted to take all the precautions and safety measures in order to avoid the disease. However, several athletes and sporting personalites were not able to escape from the disease and got affected. Below, we'll look at all the sports personalities who were tested for COVID-19. Coronavirus Scare: List of Sporting Events Suspended or Cancelled Due to COVID-19.
Be it cricket, football, tennis or basketball, all the sports demands players to put in physical effort and hence, avoiding contact is not easy. In fact, a Spanish Football coach named Francisco Garcis also died aged 21 due to the pandemic. With this disease being so severe, sporting events have come to an hault. Even after that, many sports personalities have been tested positive for coronavirus. Have a look.
1. Daniele Rugani- The centre back of Serie A club Juventus and Italy football team has been tested positive for coronavirus.
2. Mikel Arteta- The manager of Premier League club Arsenal has also been tested positive for the epidemic.
3. Callum Hudson-Odoi- The winger of Premier League club Chelsea and England football team has been tested positive.
4. Rudy Gobert- The basketball star who plays for Utah Jazz of the National Basketball Association (NBA) has also been tested positive.
5. Ezequiel Garay- The central defender of Spanish club Valencia was also not able to escape from the disease.
6. Eliaquim Mangala- Garay’s teammate who plays as a centre-back has also been tested positive.
7. Donovan Mitchell- Another NBA player who has been tested positive for COVID-19 is Donovan Mitchell.
8. Blaise Matuidi- The France-born football player, who also plays as a midfielder for Serie A club Juventus, has been tested positive for COVID-19.
9. Kevin Durant- The third basketball player on this list in Kevin Durant. The 31-year old, who represents Brooklyn Nets of the NBA, has also been tested positive.
10. Trey Thompkins- The American basketball professional plays for Real Madrid of the Liga ACB. He has also been tested positive for coronavirus.
11. German Pezzella- The central defender for Italian Football club Fiorentina has also been tested positive.
12. Marcus Smart- The latest name from NBA roster to make this unfortunate list is Marcus Smart. The American basketball player, who plays for Boston Celtics of NBA, has been tested positive for COVID-19.
13. Majid Haq- The first international cricketer to be tested positive for coronavirus is Majib Haq. He has represented Scotland in 54 ODIs and 21 T20Is.
Apart from these names many sports stars like pacers Lockie Ferguson and Kane Richardson also went for the test but luckily, were tested negative. With each day passing by, the number of positive cases all around the world are increasing. In coutries like, Italy, China and England, many people died due to infection and hence, people are asked to take proper precautions and safety measures.