US

Donald Trump Reacts to US-Canada Trade Talks Collapse, Says ‘Ottawa Wants Benefits of Being a State’

US President Donald Trump has issued his first direct response following the breakdown of trade negotiations with Canada, accusing Ottawa of seeking the economic advantages of U.S. statehood without accepting the corresponding obligations.

Donald Trump Reacts to US-Canada Trade Talks Collapse, Says ‘Ottawa Wants Benefits of Being a State’
US President Donald Trump (Photo/Reuters)
1
2
3
4
5

US President Donald Trump has issued his first direct response following the breakdown of trade negotiations with Canada, accusing Ottawa of seeking the economic advantages of U.S. statehood without accepting the corresponding obligations. Writing on Truth Social, Trump charged Canadian leadership with unfairly penalizing American agricultural exports over an extended period. "Canada wants the benefits of being a State, without being one!!!" Trump posted. "They have also charged our great farmers, for many years, massive amounts of Tariffs. No more!!!"

The statement comes after Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney recalled his trade delegation from Washington and formally suspended negotiations. Carney cited unacceptable last-minute demands from the U.S. administration, characterizing Washington's proposals as "excessive" and "uneconomic." US Seeking to Restrict Canada's Leverage is Unacceptable, Proposed Unfair New Terms: Canadian PM Carney on Suspension of Trade Talks.

According to Canadian officials, the latest U.S. terms sought to reduce tariff relief on Canadian-manufactured vehicles, restrict Canada’s authority to negotiate independent trade agreements with third-party nations, and roll back existing protections for Canadian language and culture. "In short, they asked too much, and they offered too little," Carney said during a press conference, emphasizing that "we are masters in our own home."

The collapse in talks marks a sudden shift following days of apparent optimism surrounding a potential deal. In response to the impasse, Washington is proceeding with a 50% tariff on roughly $20 billion worth of Canadian goods. Ottawa has announced plans to implement dollar-for-dollar retaliatory tariffs scheduled to take effect on September 8.

U.S. Chief Trade Negotiator Jamieson Greer defended Washington’s position, stating on Fox News that the administration acted after enduring prolonged economic retaliation from Ottawa. Greer noted that the U.S. had offered tariff reductions on Canadian steel, automobiles, and lumber, but Canada chose to reject the terms. Canada Suspends Trade Negotiations With US, Vows Dollar-for-Dollar Retaliation As 50% Tariffs Take Effect at Midnight.

‘Canada Wants the Benefits of Being a State’

The economic fallout threatens an expansive bilateral trade partnership that generated approximately $880 billion in goods and services last year. With roughly 72% of Canada’s total exports bound for the United States, the new U.S. duties are expected to impact about 5% of Canada’s annual shipments to its southern neighbor, raising broader concerns over the stability of the USMCA regional trade framework.

Rating:5

TruLY Score 5 – Trustworthy | On a Trust Scale of 0-5 this article has scored 5 on LatestLY. It is verified through official sources (Official Truth Social Account of Donald Trump). The information is thoroughly cross-checked and confirmed. You can confidently share this article with your friends and family, knowing it is trustworthy and reliable.

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Aug 23, 2026 11:37 AM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).