Saudi Arabia will allow around 1,000 pilgrims residing in the kingdom to perform the hajj this year, a minister informed the media on June 23. The ritual is being scaled back due to coronavirus pandemic. The pilgrimage, scheduled for the end of July, will be limited to those below 65 years of age and with no chronic illnesses, Health Minister Tawfiq al-Rabiah said as per AFP. Pilgrims will be tested for COVID-19 before arriving in the holy city of Mecca and will be required to quarantine at home after the ritual, Rabiah added. Saudi Arabia announced on June 22 it would hold a "very limited" hajj this year, as it moves to curb the biggest coronavirus outbreak in the Gulf. The announcement comes as Saudi Arabia reported a total of 1,61,005 COVID-19 cases. The death toll in the Kingdom stands at 1,307. The decision marks the first time in Saudi Arabia's modern history that Muslims outside the kingdom have been barred from performing the hajj, which last year drew 2.5 million pilgrims. Hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, is a must for able-bodied Muslims at least once in their lifetime if his or her physical and economic state allows. Saudi will incur huge losses this year as the Haj represents an important source of income. Hajj pilgrimage usually generates between $5.3 billion and $6.9 billion for the local economy, according to Mecca's chamber of commerce
Taif Amusement Ride Collapse: ‘360 Degrees’ Ride Collapses Mid-Air in Saudi Arabia, Terrifying Video Surfaces
2:01
US: 2 Israeli Embassy Staffers Killed in Shooting Outside Jewish Museum in Washington DC, Suspect Shouts ‘Free Palestine’
1:52
Power Outage in Europe: What Caused Electricity Shutdown in Spain, Portugal and Parts of France?
2:55
Pakistani Journalist Tries To Ask Question on India-Pakistan Tension After Pahalgam Attack, Gets Shunned by Senior US Official at Press Briefing
3:02
Mehul Choksi Arrested: Belgium Police Detain Fugitive Diamond Trader on India’s Extradition Request, Say Reports
2:26
NYC Helicopter Crash: Siemens CEO Agustin Escobar, His Wife Merce Camprubi Montal Among 6 Dead After Sightseeing Chopper Crashes Into Hudson River
2:00
Comments
‘Dhamaal’ Producer Indra Kumar and Ashok Thakeria Named in FIR Over Film Rights Dispute
Nagaland State Lottery Sambad Result Today 8 PM Live: Dear Dream Wednesday Lottery Result of August 19, 2026 Declared Online, Watch Lucky Draw Winners List
Raipur: 16-Year-Old Raped by Father, Passed Off as Adult; Newborn Sold, 8 Arrested
Eshwar Sai, Madhuri Rathod Viral Video: Wife Confronts Folk Artists After Catching Them Together at Midnight, Complaint Filed
Watch: Laura Wright Performs Pakistan’s National Anthem Ahead of PAK vs ENG 1st Test 2026
Netizens Choice 2026: BTS’ Jungkook and Thai GL Actress Lingling Kwong Lead Global Top 10 Winners – Full List Inside
Read More
NASA Chief Jared Isaacman Outlines Plan To Rebuild Agency, Reduce Outsourcing
Weather Forecast Today: IMD Issues Red, Orange Alerts for Thunderstorms and Heavy Rain Across Several States
Why Is Maharashtra FDA Targeting Restaurants? Commissioner Tukaram Mundhe Explains
Santy Sharma News: What Is ‘Arakshan Hatao – August Kranti’ and Why Did the Rapper Launch It?
Mumbai Local Train Viral Video: Office-Goers Threaten College Student Over First-Class Seat Dispute
Hardik Pandya Bald Look: Indian Cricketer Visits Tirumala With Girlfriend, Performs Tonsure Ritual
-
8th Pay Commission: Pensioners Demand Explicit Inclusion of Pension Revision in Terms of Reference; Here’s Why
-
Who Is Kim So-young, the ‘Most Beautiful Killer’? Why Are South Korean Prosecuters Seeking Death Penalty for Her?
-
Guna School Incident: Class 5 Student Makes Female Classmates Drink Urine-Mixed Water, Principal Says ‘Eat Chocolate’ To Feel Better
-
Gold Rate Today, August 19, 2026: Check 22K and 24K Gold Prices in Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Other Cities