MT Sibu 1 and M/V LUTUF Vessels With 22 Indians Hijacked by Armed Pirates off Yemen and Somalia
The Cameroon-flagged M/V LUTUF, carrying six Indians among its 10-member crew, was seized off Somalia’s Puntland coast on August 17. Three days later, the Eritrea-flagged M.T. Sibu 1, carrying 16 Indian sailors among 20 crew members, was hijacked in the Gulf of Aden, about 30 nautical miles off Yemen.
Two commercial vessels carrying a total of 22 Indian nationals have been hijacked by armed pirates in separate incidents off Somalia and Yemen, according to a senior Shipping Ministry official. All Indian crew members aboard the two vessels are reported to be safe, authorities said. The incidents occurred within three days, with one vessel seized off Somalia's Puntland coast on August 17 and another hijacked in the Gulf of Aden, around 30 nautical miles from Yemen, on August 20, TOI reported.
M/V LUTUF Hijacked Off Somalia
The first incident involved the Cameroon-flagged M/V LUTUF, which was seized off the Puntland coast of Somalia on August 17. The vessel had a crew of 10, including six Indian nationals. Reports said eight armed pirates were involved in the hijacking. The incident occurred in waters off the Horn of Africa, a region that has previously faced repeated attacks by Somali pirates. Indian Navy Foils Hijacking Attempt on MV LILA NORFOLK With 15 Indians Onboard in Arabian Sea.
MT Sibu and MV Lutuf Hijacked off Yemen and Somalia
We have taken up the matter of Indian seafarers onboard vessels MT Sibu (Eritrea flagged) and MV Lutuf (Cameroon flagged) with the concerned authorities in Somalia. It is understood that there are reportedly 16 Indian seafarers onboard MT Sibu and 6 Indian seafarers onboard MV…
— India in Kenya (@IndiainKenya) August 21, 2026
MT Sibu 1 Seized in Gulf of Aden
The second incident involved the Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker MT Sibu 1, which was hijacked on August 20 in the Gulf of Aden. The tanker was carrying 20 crew members, including 16 Indians, when it was seized about 30 nautical miles off the Yemeni coast. The remaining crew members include nationals of Syria, Sudan and Iraq, while the nationality of one crew member was still being confirmed. According to reports, six armed pirates were involved in the seizure.
Indian Crew Members Reported Safe
A senior official from the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways said that all 22 Indian sailors aboard the two vessels were safe, according to the latest information available. Indian Navy Intercepts Merchant Vessel MV Lili Norfolk After Attempted Hijacking; Rescues 21 Crew Members (Watch Video).
The government is monitoring the situation as authorities work to establish the circumstances surrounding the hijackings and the status of the vessels. Details about whether the pirates have made any specific demands for the release of the crews were not immediately available.
Renewed Concern Over Maritime Security
The two incidents have raised fresh concerns over piracy risks in waters around Somalia and the Gulf of Aden. The region is an important international shipping corridor linking the Indian Ocean with the Red Sea and the Suez Canal. Commercial vessels operating through the area have faced security threats from both piracy and armed attacks in recent years. India has maintained a significant maritime security presence in the wider region to protect Indian seafarers and merchant shipping.
India Has Previously Responded to Piracy Incidents
The Indian Navy has carried out several operations to assist merchant vessels and rescue crews from pirate attacks in the Arabian Sea, Gulf of Aden and waters off Somalia.
In January 2024, the Navy rescued the crew of an Iranian fishing vessel after it was hijacked by pirates off Somalia. Earlier that year, Indian naval commandos also responded to the hijacking of the cargo vessel MV Lila Norfolk, which had 15 Indian crew members on board.
The latest incidents could renew attention on the security risks faced by Indian seafarers working on commercial vessels operating through the region. For now, officials have said the 22 Indian sailors are safe, while efforts to monitor the situation and determine the circumstances of the two hijackings continue.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Aug 21, 2026 09:14 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).