World News | Ecuador Confirms 19 More Cases of Coronavirus Variant Omicron
Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. Ecuador has confirmed 19 more cases of the Omicron variant of the novel coronavirus, bringing its total number of cases to 22, the Ministry of Public Health said Tuesday.
Quito [Ecuador], December 22 (ANI/Xinhua): Ecuador has confirmed 19 more cases of the Omicron variant of the novel coronavirus, bringing its total number of cases to 22, the Ministry of Public Health said Tuesday.
All 19 cases were detected in the southwest coastal province of Guayas, the ministry said in a statement.
Also Read | China Trying To Increase Foothold Among Madhesis in Nepal.
Those infected with this variant of coronavirus, originally identified in South Africa, were in contact with a case detected last week in Guayas' capital Guayaquil, according to the ministry.
All the people have mild symptoms and were isolated, since they were identified as contacts of the case, the ministry said, adding "an epidemiological fence has been established through their contacts and the contacts of the contacts."
The case was confirmed by health authorities on Dec. 17 in Guayaquil, involving a 48-year-old woman who was infected at a social gathering.
Ecuador's first case was confirmed on Dec. 14 and involves an Ecuadorian engineer who arrived in the country from South Africa. (ANI/Xinhua)
(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)