Invasion of Privacy Case: Prince Harry, Elton John, Liz Hurley and Four Others Ordered to Pay Initial USD 13 Million to Daily Mail Newspaper

Prince Harry, Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley, and four others, have been ordered to pay an initial 9.5 million pounds (USD 13 million) to the publisher of the Daily Mail newspaper following their failed invasion of privacy case. The payment will have to made by August 28 this year. The claimants lost a High Court case during which they had alleged malpractice.

Prince Harry, Sir Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley (Photo Credit: Picryl, Wikimedia Commons and @elizabethhurley1/instagram)

LONDON (PAN PYLAS), August 21: Prince Harry and six others, including Elton John, have been ordered to pay an initial 9.5 million pounds ($13 million) to the publisher of Britain's Daily Mail newspaper following their failed invasion of privacy case. In a judgment Friday, Justice Matthew Nicklin said Friday in a written statement that the payment will have to made by Aug. 28. The payment is at the upper end of expectations. The claimants lost a High Court case in London last month during which they had alleged malpractice, such as the illegal hacking of phones, on the part of Associated Newspapers. After Six Years in US, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to Move Back to Britain.

The publisher has said it accumulated more than 34 million pounds during the case. The remainder of the costs will have to be reimbursed by a later date by the claimants, who are insured for around half that total. The publisher had strongly denied the claims made during the 11-week trial in London, which ended on July 7 when Nicklin said there had been a shortage of evidence to support the claims and found a possibility that the reporting came from legitimate sources.

The other high-profile figures behind the case were Doreen Lawrence, the anti‑racism activist whose son Stephen was stabbed to death in 1993 as he waited for a bus; Elton John's film producer husband David Furnish; actors Sadie Frost and Liz Hurley; and politician Simon Hughes.

Prince Harry's Move Back to the UK

The judgment comes two days after it was made public that Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are moving back to the U.K. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are no longer working royals, decamped to California more than six years ago but will relocate back later this month to live in a nonroyal residence outside London. Harry's defeat against Associated Newspapers brought an end to a trio of lawsuits accusing tabloid publishers of using unlawful tactics, such as phone hacking or hiring private detectives to dig up dirt on his life. Why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Are Returning to the UK - Key Reasons.

Harry won a judgment in 2023 that condemned the publishers of the Daily Mirror for "widespread and habitual" phone hacking.

Last year, Rupert Murdoch's flagship U.K. tabloid, The Sun, made an unprecedented apology for intruding on his life for years and agreed to pay substantial damages to settle his privacy invasion lawsuit.

Harry has said his litigation — in which he broke with royal family tradition to seek relief in the courts — was a primary source of his falling out with his father, King Charles III, and brother Prince William. His grudge with the tabloids runs deep and his legal actions are part of his larger quest to reform the news media that he says damaged his relationships and made him "paranoid beyond belief."

Prince Harry Blames Paparazzi for His Mother Princess Diana's Death

He blames the press for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in 1997 while being pursued by paparazzi in Paris, and for attacks on his wife, Meghan, that led the couple to abandon royal life and move to the United States in 2020.

Rating:4

TruLY Score 4 – Reliable | On a Trust Scale of 0-5 this article has scored 4 on LatestLY. The information comes from reputable news agencies like (AP). While not an official source, it meets professional journalism standards and can be confidently shared with your friends and family, though some updates may follow.

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Aug 21, 2026 07:25 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).

Share Now

Share Now