Air India Phuket-Delhi Flight AI-2379 Pilot Fails 2nd Dope Test for Marijuana, AAIB Probes 300-Foot Altitude Drop

Air India flight AI-2379's pilot-in-command has reportedly tested positive for marijuana in a second dope test after the Phuket-Delhi aircraft suddenly lost around 300 feet in altitude on August 4, injuring passengers and crew. Both pilots have been taken off roster. The AAIB is investigating the incident and has cautioned against drawing conclusions before the probe is complete.

Air India (Photo Credits: X/@np_nationpress)

The pilot-in-command of an Air India flight from Phuket to Delhi has reportedly tested positive for marijuana in a second dope test, days after the aircraft suddenly lost around 300 feet in altitude and left passengers and crew members injured. Sources said the confirmatory test followed an initial screening that had also returned a positive result. Both pilots have been taken off roster pending an inquiry.

Air India flight AI-2379, carrying 137 passengers and eight crew members, was travelling from Phuket to Delhi on August 4 when it experienced a sudden altitude loss during the cruise phase. At least 20 passengers and four crew members were injured. Civil Aviation Minister Ram Mohan Naidu said two crew members suffered spinal injuries near the tailbone and neck. Air India Phuket-Delhi Flight Turbulence: What We Know About the Pilot’s Reported Positive Dope Test.

Pilot's Second Dope Test Reportedly Positive

Sources had earlier told NDTV that the pilot tested positive for psychoactive substances during post-flight screening in Delhi. A subsequent sample was sent for confirmatory testing, with sources now saying that the second test also returned positive for marijuana.

The test result, however, does not by itself establish that the pilot was under the influence of marijuana while operating the aircraft or that the substance was responsible for the altitude loss. The cause of the incident remains under investigation. Air India Phuket-Delhi Turbulence: Final Drug Report Awaited, Crew Members Taken Off Roster, Says Govt.

What Happened On Phuket-Delhi Flight?

According to sources, the pilot-in-command was reportedly not in his seat when the aircraft suddenly dropped approximately 300 feet, with the co-pilot in command of the Airbus A320neo at the time.

The aircraft then entered what sources described as a 'negative-G' situation. The sudden movement caused unsecured people and objects in the cabin to be lifted, with passengers and crew members at the rear suffering injuries.

The precise cause of the altitude loss - whether related to pilot action, a technical issue, a hydraulic malfunction or another factor - has not been established.

AAIB Begins Investigation

The Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB) has begun a formal investigation into the incident. In a statement on Tuesday, August 11, the Ministry of Civil Aviation said the agency was examining technical, operational, medical and human-factor evidence related to the occurrence.

"AAIB is presently engaged in the systematic collection, preservation and examination of all relevant technical, operational, medical and human-factor evidences. This includes examination of the aircraft and its systems, recorded flight data, relevant operational and maintenance records, medical information, and interviews with persons concerned. All material evidence will be examined in its entirety before any conclusions are drawn," the ministry said.

"The sole objective of the investigation is to determine the circumstances and contributing factors relating to the occurrence and to identify appropriate safety measures to prevent recurrence. The investigation is independent, evidence-based and comprehensive, and no inference regarding the cause of the occurrence should be drawn from any isolated piece of information while the investigation is in progress," it added.

Air India CEO Meets Aviation Ministry Officials

Air India's outgoing CEO Campbell Wilson met senior ministry officials on Tuesday following the incident.

Civil Aviation Minister Ram Mohan Naidu said the government was treating the matter seriously and reiterated that aviation safety remained its top priority.

"We wanted to get a direct update from Air India also on the incident and we wanted to see how they are approaching the issue. I have said time and again that safety in aviation is the ministry's topmost priority. There shouldn't be any compromise from any side - the regulator, airlines or anyone else. This issue has been taken very seriously by the ministry as well," he said.

The ministry is also seeking updates from the aviation regulator as the investigation continues.

No Conclusion Yet On Cause Of Altitude Loss

The second positive dope test adds a new dimension to the investigation, but authorities have cautioned against drawing conclusions from individual pieces of information while the AAIB probe is underway.

Investigators are examining flight data, aircraft systems, operational and maintenance records, medical information and statements from people connected with the incident.

The final findings are expected to establish what caused the sudden 300-foot altitude loss and identify any safety measures required to prevent a recurrence.

Rating:3

TruLY Score 3 – Believable; Needs Further Research | On a Trust Scale of 0-5 this article has scored 3 on LatestLY, this article appears believable but may need additional verification. It is based on reporting from news websites or verified journalists (NDTV), but lacks supporting official confirmation. Readers are advised to treat the information as credible but continue to follow up for updates or confirmations

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Aug 11, 2026 09:00 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).

Share Now

Share Now