Mumbai, July 23: Mumbai Police on Tuesday registered a case against three people under sections 304 (A), 338, & 337 in connection with Kesarbai building collapse in Dongri. However, no arrest has been made in the case yet. The tragic incident took place on July 16 at 11 am. Thirteen people lost their lives while several others injured in the collapse. Dongri Building Collapse: BMC Issued Notice For Immediate Demolition of 'Kesarbai' in 2017, MHADA Blames Builder.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) released a letter dated August 7, 2017, in which the civic body had already warned the residents about the dilapidated condition of the building. The letter showed that the building was classified as "C1" and the municipal body had asked the building to be evacuated for demolition purpose. Mumbai Building Collapse: PM Narendra Modi Condoles Deaths.
Police register case against 3 persons under sections 304A, 338, & 337 in connection with Kesarbai building collapse in Dongri, Mumbai on 16 July. No arrests have been made yet. (File pic) pic.twitter.com/1eSjILUMLx
— ANI (@ANI) July 23, 2019
After the collapse, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis ordered an investigation in the case. Fadnavis had told reporters, “The building is almost 100 years old, its residents had approached MHADA for the redevelopment of the building, we will launch an investigation to find out whether it was carried out or not.”
Meanwhile, the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) also said the 'Kesarbai' building, which collapsed, was supposed to have been demolished in 2012. MHADA chairman Uday Samant blamed the builder for not carrying out the redevelopment work.