Children were accidentally given Pine-Sol, a cleaning liquid instead of apple juice. Confirming the incident, health officials said that fortunately, nobody fell sick. Honolulu Emergency Services Department said that paramedics responded to Kilohana United Methodist Church Preschool on Tuesday and checked three girls aged between four and five.
The children had taken sips from the cleaner that classroom assistant at the preschool mistook for apple juice. The girls did not experience any form of sickness and their parents refused to take them to the hospital. The preschool in a letter to parents called the incident "unfortunate" and mentioned no children were injured. Six Children Die Due To a Viral Outbreak At a Rehabilitation Centre in the USA.
Foxnews quoted the preschool as saying, "Only sips were taken before the lead teacher realized the liquid was not apple juice. The staff responded immediately by calling EMS and police. The children's parents were immediately notified as well."
Following the incident, the state Department of Health inspected the school, but no code violations were found. The inspection report states that the assistant prepared snacks and juice as the teacher took children to the restroom. The assistant then took a yellow bottle of liquid and poured it into cups. It was the classroom teacher who smelled the liquid and found it was not apple juice. The teacher then stopped the children from drinking it.
Pine-Sol was stored in its original bottle, labelled and the cart carrying it did not have any food items. The preschool said that it would evaluate their process of obtaining snacks and other food items to prevent any similar incidents in the future. Also, staff will be undertaking additional training.