Brydon Carse Handcuffed by Police in Derby Nightclub Incident, ECB Launches Investigation (Video)
England fast bowler Brydon Carse has become the latest player from the national squad to be caught up in a late-night nightclub controversy after a video surfaced on social media showing him being handcuffed by police.
England fast bowler Brydon Carse has become the latest player from the national squad to be caught up in a late-night nightclub controversy after a video surfaced on social media showing him being handcuffed by police. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has confirmed it is investigating the incident, which is reported to have taken place in Derby. The development comes at a sensitive time for English cricket, with the team's off-field conduct having already drawn scrutiny multiple times over the past year.
ECB Confirms Investigation
Reacting to the video, the ECB issued a statement acknowledging the incident and confirming that a probe is underway. "We are aware of an incident which is reported to have taken place in Derby last night, and are currently investigating. We will provide a further update when possible," the board said.
English media reports have since clarified that Carse was not arrested and was released without charge. Ben Stokes, Gus Atkinson Under ECB Probe After Nightclub Incident.
Brydon Carse Handcuffed By Police In Derby Nightclub Video
Durham bowler Brydon Carse, who is in England squad for second Test, was released without charge after a nightclub incident while celebrating victory over Derbyshire@willis_macp has the details ⤵️https://t.co/4YXyQWChe5 pic.twitter.com/zFKA3lgPVi
— Telegraph Cricket (@TeleCricket) August 23, 2026
What Happened In Derby
According to reports, Carse was at the nightclub celebrating Durham's County Championship win over Derbyshire when the incident occurred. In the video, which has also been shared by The Telegraph, Carse is seen in handcuffs while speaking with Durham team-mate Matthew Potts. Harry Brook Apologises For Nightclub Altercation In New Zealand Last Year Following England's Ashes 2025-26 Defeat.
Former England captain Ben Stokes, who had bowled Durham to victory the previous day, is also visible in the background of the footage.
Carse's Role In England's Test Squad
Carse is currently part of the England squad for the first two Tests against Pakistan. He had been released from national duty during the first Test to turn out for Durham in the County Championship, which is when the incident is said to have taken place.
Not The First Off-Field Controversy For England
This is not the first time England players have found themselves at the centre of a nightclub-related controversy. The incident follows a similar episode involving Stokes and fast bowler Gus Atkinson, who were investigated by the ECB after another nightclub incident during England's series against New Zealand, which the team lost 2-1. Stokes subsequently announced his retirement from international cricket at the end of that series.
Months earlier, England's off-field behaviour had already come under heavy scrutiny during their tours of New Zealand and Australia, with the team facing accusations of having a "drinking culture" in the dressing room. Their conduct during a controversial mid-series break in a difficult Ashes campaign in Australia was particularly criticised.
It also later emerged that England's limited-overs captain Harry Brook had been involved in a separate nightclub incident during the New Zealand tour, ahead of the Ashes. The incident reportedly took place the night before the third match of a series England had already lost 2-0, and which they went on to lose 3-0. News of the episode only broke over a month later, in the middle of England's struggles in the Ashes, after the ECB had quietly investigated the matter internally and reprimanded Brook.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Aug 23, 2026 11:33 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).