Mumbai, September 17: A tragic incident occurred as a baby boy died due to contracting a brain-eating amoeba while enjoying his time at a children's splash park. The young child, Michael Alexander Pollock III, was only 16 months old when he sadly passed away while playing at the park located in Little Rock, Arkansas.

The Arkansas Department of Health has verified that young Michael was infected with the "brain-eating" naegleria fowleri amoeba. This marks the fifth reported case of someone succumbing to this illness in the United States this year. “Though Michael’s time on Earth was short, he touched the hearts of family, friends, and even strangers he came across with his illuminating smile and playfulness,” his obituary read. Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills US Boy: Two-Year-Old Gets Naegleria Fowleri Infection While Playing in Water in Nevada's Ash Springs, Dies.

Tragically, the toddler died at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock. Health officials released a statement explaining that the infection likely occurred when the individual was exposed at the splash pad of the Country Club of Little Rock. The Arkansas Health Department sent numerous samples from the pool and splash pad to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). According to the statement, the CDC has confirmed the presence of viable Naegleria Fowleri in one of the splash pad samples. Brain-Eating Amoeba Strikes Again: Teenage Girl in US Dies After Going for a Swim in Naegleria Fowleri-Infected Waters.

Officials said that there is no more danger to the public from this exposure. The country club has closed the splash pad and is cooperating with investigations. Naegleria fowleri is a dangerous amoeba. It usually causes death. It lives in soil and warm freshwater like lakes, rivers, and hot springs. People sometimes call it a "brain-eating amoeba" because it can cause an infection in the brain. You can't get infected by drinking water. The amoeba has to go up your nose. At first, it causes severe headaches, fever, and makes a person feel like throwing up. This is called 'stage one' of the infection.

(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Sep 17, 2023 08:17 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website