Agency News

India News | Delhi Government to Replace 96,000 Streetlights with Smart LED System

Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. The Delhi Government will replace all streetlights in the capital with a smart LED system at an estimated cost of around Rs 473 crore, according to the Chief Minister's Office (CMO).

India News | Delhi Government to Replace 96,000 Streetlights with Smart LED System

New Delhi [India], May 20 (ANI): The Delhi Government will replace all streetlights in the national capital with a smart LED system at an estimated cost of around Rs 473 crore, according to the Chief Minister's Office (CMO).

The total number of these streetlights stands at around 96,000. The decision was taken by Chief Minister Rekha Gupta during a meeting of the Expenditure Finance Committee held in hybrid mode.

Also Read | 'Melody to the Ears': India's Toffee Exports Jump Nearly 166% Since FY14, Says Piyush Goyal Amid PM Modi-Giorgia Meloni 'Melodi' Buzz.

The government aims to improve energy efficiency and ensure better illumination across the national capital.

Earlier in the day, Delhi Chief Minister Gupta launched 'Hauslon Ki Udaan', a talent hunt initiative for the youth of Delhi.

Also Read | Nagaland State Lottery Sambad Result Today 8 PM Live: Dear Dream Wednesday Lottery Result of May 20, 2026 Declared Online, Watch Lucky Draw Winners List.

The programme aims to give young people a platform to show their talent in different fields. The Delhi government will soon launch a portal where people between the ages of 16 and 35 can register for the programme.

Speaking at the launch, CM Gupta said the initiative will help the government reach talented youth across the city.

"I congratulate our Art and Culture Ministry, the minister, and the entire team for planning a program for Delhi's youth. Delhi is brimming with talent, and the youth need a good platform to showcase their abilities... This initiative has been named 'Hauslon Ki Udaan'... Through this, the government will reach out to the youth in their own fields and provide them an opportunity without any registration fee or expense," she said.

Sharing details about the selection process, Gupta said the youth will be able to upload their videos on the portal. A jury panel will then shortlist the participants.

"The government will launch a portal, and youth aged 16 to 35 years in Delhi will be able to register on it and share their videos, and a jury panel will shortlist them. After that, 35 zones will be created in Delhi, and auditions will be held there... The selected participants will have a state-level program, and awards will also be given... This competition has been designed in 7 different categories such as singing, dance, acting, instrumental music, digital art, sculpture... Youth from any class will be able to participate in this program..." she added.

The initiative will cover seven categories, including singing, dance, acting, instrumental music, digital art and sculpture. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)