World News | 15 ISIS Operatives Killed in Joint Operation with Iraq, Says US Military

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. The 15 ISIS operatives who were killed were "armed with numerous weapons, grenades, and explosive 'suicide' belts," US Central Command said.

Representative Image (Photo: Reuters)

Washington DC [US], August 31 (ANI): The United States military said on Friday (local time) that 15 ISIS operatives were killed in a joint operation by US and Iraqi forces in western Iraq.

The 15 ISIS operatives who were killed were "armed with numerous weapons, grenades, and explosive 'suicide' belts," US Central Command said in a statement.

Also Read | Russia's Mi-8T Helicopter With 22 Passengers, 3 Crew Members Goes Missing Near Vachkazhets Volcano in Kamchatka.

There was no indication of any civilian casualties, CENTCOM said.

"This operation targeted ISIS leaders to disrupt and degrade ISIS' ability to plan, organize, and conduct attacks against Iraqi civilians, as well as U.S. citizens, allies, and partners throughout the region and beyond," it added.

Also Read | Layoffs Not Coming Due to GenAI: Indian Tech Giants Including Infosys, Wipro, HCLTech Focused on Upskilling Employees Than Laying Them Off.

The US military said the Iraqi security forces are working "to further exploit the locations raided," as ISIS remains a "threat to the region, our allies, as well as our homeland."

https://x.com/CENTCOM/status/1829690125896351762

CENTCOM said the US will continue to aggressively pursue ISIS operatives with coalition and Iraqi partners.

Earlier, Iraq postponed announcing an end date for Operation Inherent Resolve, the US military operation combating ISIS, due to "recent developments," raising questions about the future of US military presence in the Gulf state amid heightened tension in the region, according to a CNN report.

The US has around 2,500 troops in Iraq currently who have been operating there in an "advise and assist" capacity since December 2021, when the US military announced the end of its combat role in the country.

Notably, the Middle East has grappled with heightened tensions in recent months amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas war and as the US braces for a potential Iranian attack on Israel over the late July killing of a Hamas political leader in Tehran.

Iran claims the assassination was carried out by Israel, which has neither confirmed nor denied its involvement.

The US Department of Defence announced earlier this month that it would be sending a carrier strike group, a fighter squadron and additional warships to the Middle East in preparation for a possible retaliation. US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin has ordered a guided-missile submarine and accelerated the arrival of a carrier strike group to the region, CNN reported. (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now