World News | German Diplomats Seeking Access to Citizen Jailed in Cuba

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. Germany's diplomats are working to get access to a German citizen imprisoned in Cuba since last year, Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.

Berlin, Mar 29 (AP) Germany's diplomats are working to get access to a German citizen imprisoned in Cuba since last year, Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.

Supporters say Luis Frómeta Compte, a resident of Dresden who has both German and Cuban citizenship, was arrested on July 11 last year after filming an anti-government demonstration during a vacation in Cuba.

Also Read | Peace Talks Between Ukraine-Russia Delegations Kick Off in Istanbul.

According to the International Society for Human Rights, Frómeta Compte was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment in December for causing public outrage and inciting unrest.

The group said the 59-year-old plans to go on hunger strike to protest his incarceration.

Also Read | Russia-Ukraine War: Special Operation in Ukraine Will Continue Until Set Goals Are Achieved, Says Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.

“The German embassy in Havana is dealing with the case and is in close contact with the Cuban authorities, the lawyer and the relatives of the person concerned,” the Foreign Ministry said.

The ministry and the embassy “are making intensive efforts to gain consular access to the person concerned", it added. (AP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now