Thanksgiving 2019 is here and if you aren't still confident about cooking a perfect roast Turkey (because are legit Rachel from FRIENDS when it comes to cooking), your Google search has landed you at the right place. Thanksgiving dinner is considered incomplete without the roasted turkey, and the day is also called Turkey Day for a reason. But if your cooking skills aren't something to brag about, here's an easy step-by-step guide to help you. First of all, kudos to your bravery! Cooking a whole turkey is a feat in itself. Secondly, fret not, there exist simple tips and trick that can make your turkey roasting easier. Thanksgiving 2019 Dinner Recipes: From Roast Turkey to Pumpkin Pie, How to Prepare All the Traditional Favourites on Turkey Day.
The roast turkey preparation begins right from buying the right turkey of the size that will be enough for all the people you want to feed. The cleaning of the turkey takes a lot of time as well. You also want to thaw the bird right to maintain the texture of roast Turkey. After that buttering, Turkey with the perfect amount of butter is another very important step. Finally, it is the roasting that needs to be perfectly-timed. Here's all you need to know:
Steps to Cook the Perfect Turkey
- Preheat the oven 325°F (160 °C).
- Thaw and clean turkey by removing the neck and giblets from the inside cavity of the turkey.
- Wash the turkey inside and out with cold water and dry well with paper towels.
- Get rid of all the slimy things on the turkey or any other kind of extra skin or fat you don't want.
- Set it in a try with paper towels to absorb the excess moisture. You want your turkey meat to be dry before buttering it.
- Use your fingers or a spoon to carefully separate the skin from the turkey breast to create a pocket for the marinade.
- Place the onions, carrots, celery and eight garlic cloves on the bottom of a large roasting pan. Season lightly with salt and pepper and pour two cups of chicken stock over the vegetables.
- Place the turkey on top of the bed of vegetables.
- Season the turkey cavity with salt, red pepper flakes, and cumin powder.
- Stuff with garlic cloves, oregano, and sage.
- Combine all of the herbed butter ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Rub the turkey all around with the herbed butter especially under the skin.
- Season the exterior liberally with salt and some pepper, and a tablespoon of dried crushed oregano.
- Cross the legs together and tie them with butcher’s twine and tuck the wings under the bird.
- Tent the turkey loosely first with parchment paper then topped with aluminium foil. Roast covered for two and a half hours.
- Remove the foil and parchment paper and insert a thermometer between the leg and thigh and roast another one and a half to two hours or until the temperature registers 165°F. Raise the oven temperature to 350°F, 180°C for the last 45 minutes of roasting to get the skin golden and crisp.
- Baste with the pan juices every 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the turkey to a cutting board and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before carving, to retain all of its juices.
Watch Recipe Video By Dimitra's Dishes:
While people experiment with the Thanksgiving menu, it is the roast turkey that is the star of the table. The traditional Thanksgiving menu includes stuffing and mashed potatoes that go with turkey. A lot also depends on the kind of gravy you're serving your roast turkey with.