According to a new study men suffering from diabetes may be at a higher risk of erectile dysfunction (ED). ED or Erectile Dysfunction is a condition that causes a person to be unable to achieve or sustain an erection during sexual intercourse. People who have Type 2 diabetes are more prone to face this problem. Somewhere between 35% and 50% of men with diabetes get Erectile Dysfunction.
The study, published in the journal of Current Medicine Research and Practice, 225 diabetic males between 18-65 years of age were examined. They had Type 2 diabetes. Alongside, 50 non-diabetic men with the same age group were evaluated too. The severity of ED was assessed among male diabetics, based on the Sexual Health Inventory for Men (SHIM) questionnaire and it was seen that people who have Type 2 diabetes were more prone to ED.
Here are other facts about ED you might want to know:
1. ED is known to be very common among males above the age of 70, but erectile dysfunction can affect men at any age for various reasons.
2. Erectile dysfunction may not be a life-threatening condition by itself but is linked with a gamut of health conditions like heart diseases and diabetes. Therefore if you are suffering from ED, it is best to visit a doctor asap before its late.
3. There are so many health issues that can cause ED. Right from heart problems, Diabetes, blood pressure medication, anxiety, depression, Nerve disorders, hormonal issues, Excessive smoking and drinking alcohol, etc.
4. There are various ways to treat ED by professional help, from approved medicines to penis shots etc., there are multiple ways available depending on the severity of the problem.
5. A myth that floats around is that tight clothing like tight underwear or jeans causes ED. This is not true, and there isn't even scientific proof or research that confirms it.
6. Erectile Dysfunction doesn't limit your libido. Your sex drive doesn't necessarily have to be affected by ED. While a declined libido with people suffering from ED isn't uncommon but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. Many times the decline in libido amongst men suffering from ED is psychological, anxiety and stress may not turn you on more than the ED perse.
While erectile dysfunction is a physical health problem, quite a lot this problem is impacted by psychological issues. The stigma attached to ED plus attitude towards the treatment of erectile dysfunction is still based on an orthodox mindset of the people in India that needs to change.