India News | Telangana Tunnel Collapse: Search Ops Underway at Locations Identified for Possible Human Presence

Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. The search operation to locate the seven people trapped inside the partially collapsed SLBC tunnel continued at a rapid pace on Wednesday, at the spots identified for possible human presence, officials said.

Nagarkurnool (Telangana), Mar 19 (PTI) The search operation to locate the seven people trapped inside the partially collapsed SLBC tunnel continued at a rapid pace on Wednesday, at the spots identified for possible human presence, officials said.

The broken parts of the huge Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) which were obstructing excavation at the 'D1, D2' spots were being removed using ultra thermal cutters, an official statement said.

Also Read | Madhya Pradesh Shocker: Woman Presumed Dead for 1-and-Half Years Returns To Stun Family and Police, While 4 Individuals Accused of Her Murder Languish in Jail.

The 'D1, D2' are areas identified for possible human presence.

The soil at these locations was being shifted out of the tunnel using excavators and conveyor belt while efforts to restore loco train up to these locations were also underway, it said. The process of removing soil, muck and also dewatering was going on continuously.

Also Read | Karnataka Bandh on March 22: 12-Hour Shutdown in State Over Language Row; From KSRTC and BMTC Buses to Cabs and Schools, Know What’s Open and What’s Closed.

So far, 800 tons of steel and 800 tons of soil was shifted out of the tunnel using loco train and conveyor belt respectively, it added.

State Special Chief Secretary (Disaster Management) Arvind Kumar was supervising the search operation. Personnel from the NDRF, SDRF, state-run miner Singareni Collieries, rat miners, and others were continuing the search operation.

The body of Gurpreet Singh, a TBM operator, was recovered on March 9 and handed over to his family in Punjab. Seven others remain trapped inside the tunnel. A total of eight individuals—including engineers and labourers—were trapped in the SLBC project tunnel when a portion of it collapsed on February 22.

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now