Latest News | Police Pelted with Stones During Raze Drive in Lucknow

Get latest articles and stories on Latest News at LatestLY. Residents of Lucknow's Akbar Nagar on Sunday allegedly clashed with police and administration officials and pelted them with stones during an anti-encroachment drive in the locality, officials said.

Lucknow, Mar 10 (PTI) Residents of Lucknow's Akbar Nagar on Sunday allegedly clashed with police and administration officials and pelted them with stones during an anti-encroachment drive in the locality, officials said.

The alleged incident occurred in the evening when a team of the Lucknow Development Authority and the administration, accompanied by the police, was demolishing illegal structures in the locality along the Faizabad Road.

Also Read | RRB Recruitment 2024: Vacancies Notified For 9,144 Technician Posts, Know How to Apply Online At rrbapply.gov.in.

"Three commercial establishments were being demolished after the high court dismissed writs. While two structures were demolished, locals -- spurred on by some rumour -- started pelting the administration officials and the police with stones during demolition of the third one," Lucknow Development Authority Vice-Chairman Indramani Tripathi said.

No one was injured in the incident, the official said.

Also Read | Geoglyphs Found in Ratnagiri: 10,000-Year-Old Rock Art Carvings Discovered in Maharashtra Villages.

"Some locals said debris from the demolished structures damaged their structures, following which seven people were allotted houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana," Tripathi said and added that the situation is under control.

Around 74 BPL card holders of Akbar Nagar had filed a writ petition in the high court, seeking a stay on the development authority's raze drive.

The drive was carried out as the slum has allegedly come up illegally on government land. There are around 1,400 houses in the slum.

Tripathi said the drive is underway to raze commercial establishments and not residential ones, according to the high court's directive.

The Allahabad High Court last week directed all residents to vacate the disputed premises on or before March 31.

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now