World News | Shots Fired Outside US Embassy in Lebanon, No Injuries Reported
Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. An unknown gunman opened fire outside the US embassy in Beirut late Wednesday night.
Beirut, Sep 21 (AP) An unknown gunman opened fire outside the US embassy in Beirut late Wednesday night.
Embassy spokesperson Jake Nelson said in a statement that "small arms fire was reported in the vicinity of the entrance" of the sprawling — and heavily fortified — compound in the suburb of Awkar.
Also Read | World War I Remembrance Sites Added to UNESCO’s Prestigious Heritage Registry.
"There were no injuries, and our facility is safe," he said. "We are in close contact with host country law enforcement authorities."
Earlier this year marked the 40th anniversary of a deadly bombing attack on the US embassy in Beirut on April 18. US officials blame the attack, which killed 63 people, on the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
Following that attack, the embassy was moved from central Beirut to the Christian suburb of Awkar, north of the capital. Another bomb attack struck the new location on September 20. 1984.
In recent years, there have been no reported attacks on the embassy. (AP)
(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)