Menlo Park, February 20: Meta has announced that it will shut down the standalone Facebook Messenger website - messenger.com and Facebook desktop app as part of a broader effort to consolidate its messaging services. According to an updated company help page, the messenger.com domain will cease to be available starting in April 2026, marking the end of the platform as a distinct web entity.
The move follows a series of similar transitions aimed at integrating the chat service back into the main Facebook ecosystem. Users attempting to access the site after the deadline will be automatically redirected to the messaging interface within the primary Facebook website to continue their conversations on a computer. Fact Check: Is Roblox Permanently Shutting Down on September 1, 2025 Amid Facing Backlash? Check Details of Claims Spread on Social Media.
Facebook Messenger Shutdown Impact on Non-Facebook Users
As per the official page, the decision presents a significant change for individuals who use Messenger without an active Facebook account. Meta has clarified that these users will only be able to continue their conversations via the Messenger mobile application once the website is retired. The page said, "Starting April 2026, messenger.com will no longer be available for messaging. The Messenger desktop app is also no longer available. You can use facebook.com/messages to continue messaging on web."
For those transitioning to the Facebook web interface or mobile app, Meta noted that chat histories can be restored using the PIN created during the initial backup process. The company has provided options to reset these security codes for users who may have forgotten them since their last backup.
Meta said on its official Facebook page, "After messenger.com goes away, you will be automatically redirected to use facebook.com/messages for messaging on a computer. You can continue your conversations there or on the Messenger mobile app. If you currently use Messenger without a Facebook account, you can continue your conversations on the Messenger mobile app."
Meta's Continuation of Integration Strategy
This latest update follows Meta’s decision several months ago to discontinue the standalone Messenger desktop applications for Windows and Mac. During that phase, the tech giant had already begun redirecting desktop app users toward the Facebook website rather than the dedicated Messenger URL.
The shift represents a reversal of the strategy implemented in 2011 when Facebook Messenger was first launched as a standalone service. While the company spent years positioning Messenger as an independent platform, it began merging the services back together in 2023 to reduce maintenance costs across its various software offerings.
User Feedback and Technical Shift
The change was first identified by reverse engineer Alessandro Paluzzi and has since been confirmed through pop-up notifications sent to users on both the web and mobile platforms. The announcement has met with some resistance from the user base, particularly from those who prefer to keep their messaging activity separate from their social media profiles. OnePlus Shutdown Reports Denied: CEO Robin Liu Confirms India Operations Continue As Normal Amid Online Misinformation.
Industry analysts suggest that by reducing the number of standalone platforms, Meta can streamline its development resources and focus on core integrated features. While the standalone web experience is ending, the Messenger mobile app will remain a primary, independent tool for communication across global markets.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Feb 20, 2026 08:26 AM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).













Quickly


