Every year, December 2 is celebrated as the International Day for the Abolition of Slavery. This day focuses on eradicating contemporary forms of slavery, such as sexual exploitation, trafficking in persons, forced marriage, and child labour. According to the International Labour Organisation (ILO), over 40 million people worldwide are a victim of modern slavery. Human Trafficking in Nigeria: 20,000 Missing Girls found as Sex Slaves in Mali.
"Slavery has evolved and manifested itself in different ways throughout history. Today some traditional forms of slavery still persist in their earlier forms, while others have been transformed into new ones," the United Nations said.
Quotes on Slavery:
- "I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong. I can not remember when I did not so think and feel." - Abraham Lincoln
- "Slavery is theft -- the theft of a life, theft of work, theft of any property or produce, theft even of the children a slave might have borne.," Kevin Bales
- "Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." - Abraham Lincoln
- "Anytime anyone is enslaved, or in any way deprived of his liberty, if that person is a human being, as far as I am concerned he is justified to resort to whatever methods necessary to bring about his liberty again." Malcolm X
- "If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong." - Abraham Lincoln
To celebrate International Day for the Abolition of Slavery 2019, people can educate others about the real situation. People can also publish anti-slavery posts on social media such as Facebook, Twiter and Whatsapp. Newsletters, flyers, posters and other published material about abolishing slavery can be distributed across the public areas.