Hariyali Teej is here. Celebrated amid the holy month oh Sawan, on the Tritiya Tithi of Shukla paksha, this day saw Lord Shiva appearing after he was pleased with Goddess Parvati's worship and fasting. The blessing of Shiva is said to have brought greenery in the life of Goddess Parvati and hence the Tritiya Tithi is celebrated every year as Hariyali Teej. The whole year sees two Teej, one called the Hariyali Teej and Hartalaika Teej. Women celebrate Hariyali Teej wearing green bangles, swinging on floral jhoolas and applying mehndi. However, there is a list of dos and don'ts that women who are fasting on this day must follow. If fasting on this day is done according to certain rules, it is said to bring is good luck and positivity in people's life.
The fast of Hariyali Teej is similar to Karva Chauth as the intention of women fasting is to pray for the long life of her husband. Hariyali Teej is celebrated in North India especially in Bihar and UP. On this day Gaur (idol of Shiva-Parvati made of clay) is worshipped and Women also follow sixteen makeup rituals called solah shringar. Here are a few dos and don't
- Teej fast can be conducted by both married women as young unmarried girls old enough to keep the fast.
- Women must keep their calm on this day.
- Do not lie or insult someone if you are keeping a Teej fast
- It is usually forbidden to eat or drink anything during the fast, but if you are unwell, you can consume fruits 2-3 times a day.
- Avoid using onions and garlic for cooking during the fast.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol.
- If you are keeping Teej fast then do not insult any elderly person.
- You cannot sleep if you are fasting. People usually have bhajan-kirtan performed at night.
- The fast is only complete if you offer sindoor to Mata Parvati after sunrise the next day.
- For Teej fast always worship Shiva-Parvati and Lord Ganesha idols made of clay.
This year due to coronavirus you might not be able to hold get-togethers, but you can surely opt for virtual celebrations. Happy Hariyali Teej.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Jul 21, 2020 06:25 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).