India News | UP Polls: Candidate, Who Filed Nomination in PPE Kit, Rejected; Cries Foul
Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. The nomination of Vaidyaraj Kishan, the Sanyukt Vikas Party candidate from Shahjahanpur Assembly constituency who hogged the limelight by wearing a PPE kit while filing his papers, was cancelled on Sunday.
Shahjahanpur (UP), Jan 30 (PTI) The nomination of Vaidyaraj Kishan, the Sanyukt Vikas Party candidate from Shahjahanpur Assembly constituency who hogged the limelight by wearing a PPE kit while filing his papers, was cancelled on Sunday.
As soon as he learned about the development, Kishan broke down at the collectorate and accused the officials of colluding with cabinet minister Suresh Khanna, who is also a candidate from the constituency.
Also Read | Punjab: 50-Year-Old Woman Found Dead Inside Her Home in Faridkot; Husband Missing.
The returning officer, however, said Kishan's nomination was rejected because of incomplete documents.
On January 25, Kishan had arrived at the returning officer's chamber to file his nomination papers wearing a PPE kit, holding sanitizer and thermal scanner.
Also Read | Rajasthan: 4 Including 3 Children Killed in Fire at Painting Material Packaging Unit in Jaipur.
On that day, he had alleged that the officials had stopped his proposer outside the chamber and hence could not complete the nomination procedure. He said he submitted the second set of papers the next day and completed the process.
Responding to Kishan's allegations against him, Parliamentary Affairs and Medical Education Minister Suresh Khanna told PTI, “I am not even aware of the candidates from the seat and I don't know whose nomination has been rejected. Whatever allegations are levelled against me are completely baseless.”
District Election Officer Devendra Pratap Singh said three notices were issued to Kishan asking him to furnish all documents. However, he failed to submit them.
“He had filed incomplete documents, including the affidavit. So, his nomination has been cancelled,” the officer said.
Kishan has had his deposits forfeited in all the 18 polls he has contested so far.
He had earlier said he would also file his nomination from Gorakhpur against Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)