World News | 5th Victim Dies After January Attacks in Chicago, Suburbs
Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. A 15-year-old girl has become the fifth person to die from a series of shootings last month by a Chicago gunman who was later killed in a suburban police shootout, authorities said.
Chicago, Feb 3 (AP) A 15-year-old girl has become the fifth person to die from a series of shootings last month by a Chicago gunman who was later killed in a suburban police shootout, authorities said.
Damia Smith was pronounced dead Tuesday at Comer Children's Hospital, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. She was riding in a vehicle with her mother when she was shot and had been hospitalised.
According to police, Jason Nightengale, 32, of Chicago, shot seven people in a series of attacks January 9 over a roughly four-hour period. Most of the attacks happened on Chicago's South Side before Nightengale drove to Evanston, just north of the city, where officers killed him during a shootout.
Authorities have not released a motive in the killings, which they described as random. Nightengale posted numerous disturbing and nonsensical short videos on Facebook before the killings.
In one he brandished a gun; in another he threatened to “blow up the whole community.”
The other four people who died were Yiran Fan, a 30-year-old University of Chicago student from China; 20-year-old Anthony Faulkner; 46-year-old security guard Aisha Nevell; and 61-year-old Marta Torres. (AP)
(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)