World News | Chicago Police: 5-year-old Shot in Head in Drive-by Shooting

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. A 5-year-old Chicago boy has been hospitalised in critical condition after he was shot in the head in a drive-by shooting as he sat on a couch at home playing on an iPad, police said.

Chicago, Nov 17 (AP) A 5-year-old Chicago boy has been hospitalised in critical condition after he was shot in the head in a drive-by shooting as he sat on a couch at home playing on an iPad, police said.

The shooting happened at about 7:30 pm on Monday in the Roseland neighbourhood on the city's South Side, Chicago police said.

Also Read | Moderna CEO Says COVID-19 Vaccine’s ‘Several Million Doses’ Ready in US, Warns Europe of ‘Slow Deliveries’ if Contract Signings Delayed.

Police spokesman Tom Ahern said at least one round went through the home's front window and struck the boy in the head. His sister heard the shots and called 911 after discovering that he had been shot, Ahern said.

The boy was rushed to Comer Children's Hospital, where he was in critical condition following surgery to relieve pressure on his brain, said Cmdr. Glenn White.

Also Read | Sri Lanka’s Ex-Fisheries Minister Dilip Wedaarachchi ‘Eats Raw Fish’ on Camera to Shun Rumours of COVID-19 Spread Through Seafood (Watch Video).

“This is another random act of violence here in the city of Chicago involving one of the youthful citizens of Chicago who is five years old who was innocently playing inside this residence on his iPad,” White said. “Our hearts and our prayers go out to the parents.”

No one has been arrested and the shooting remains under investigation, police said. (AP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now