World News | Congo Repatriates 3 Americans Facing Life in Jail over Failed Coup Plot, Official Says

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. The three Americans convicted on charges of participating in a botched coup attempt in Congo last year have been repatriated to the United States days after the country commuted their death sentences to life imprisonment, an official said Tuesday.

Representational Image (Photo Credits: LatestLY)

Kinshasa, Apr 8 (AP) The three Americans convicted on charges of participating in a botched coup attempt in Congo last year have been repatriated to the United States days after the country commuted their death sentences to life imprisonment, an official said Tuesday.

The three will serve their sentences in the US following the repatriation done in collaboration with the US Embassy, Congolese presidential spokesperson Tina Salama said on X.

Also Read | The Alien Enemies Act: What to Know About a 1798 Law That Donald Trump Has Invoked for Deportations.

Among them is 21-year-old Marcel Malanga, son of opposition figure Christian Malanga, who led the foiled coup attempt that targeted the presidential palace in Kinshasa.

Also repatriated are Tyler Thompson Jr., 21, a friend of the younger Malanga who flew to Africa from Utah for what his family believed was a free vacation, and Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, 36, who is reported to have known Christian Malanga through a gold mining company. (AP)

Also Read | England Shocker: Plastic Surgeon Breaks Into Fellow Doctor's Home, Tries To Kill Him With Knife and Petrol Amid Disciplinary Row in Nottinghamshire; Arrested.

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now