World News | Curfew Remains in Nepal's Southern Plain After Communal Clash Ahead of Elections Next Week

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. Authorities in Nepal's Rautahat district imposed an indefinite curfew in Gaur Municipality after communal clashes. The curfew restricts movement and bans gatherings. Security forces have been deployed. Violence resumed despite a prior agreement, with stone-pelting and a vehicle set on fire. Several people were injured.

Security personnel move through a locality in Gaur Municipality, Rautahat district, after an indefinite curfew was imposed following communal clashes. (Photo/ANI)

Kathmandu [Nepal], February 22 (ANI): The local administration of Nepal's Rautahat district has imposed an indefinite curfew in Gaur Municipality following a communal clash, as the coutnry heads into general elections next week.

The District Administration Office, Rautahat, imposed the curfew last afternoon, which was relaxed for two hours on Sunday morning. "The curfew still remains in place since 8:30 am on Sunday," a notice read.

Also Read | Dubai Gold Rate Today: 18K, 22K, 24K Gold Prices for February 22.

The Chief District Officer of the district, Dinesh Sagar Bhusal, emphasised that all gatherings, rallies, meetings, and processions are strictly prohibited.

"We have imposed the curfew to ensure the situation does not escalate. Security personnel have been deployed to bring the situation under control," Bhusal told ANI over the phone.

Also Read | Pakistan Strikes Afghanistan: IHRF Reports Pakistani Military Airstrike on Civilian Home in Behsud District, Killing at Least 16 Members of One Family.

"The curfew will remain in force until further notice, with authorities closely monitoring the situation," Bhusal added.

As per the notice from the administration, the restricted area extends from Mudbalwa Gate in the east to Lalbakaiya Dam in the west, Bam Canal in the north, and the Gaur Customs Office boundary in the south.

The curfew order was issued after a confrontation broke out in Ward 6, Sabgadh, Gaur, creating a tense situation.

Tensions flared after a vehicle was set on fire during the clashes. Although a six-point agreement had been reached on Friday evening between the two sides following earlier confrontations, stone-pelting resumed at around 9 am on Saturday, further aggravating the situation.

Dozens of personnel from Nepal Police and the Armed Police Force have been mobilised to restore order. Security has been tightened in the affected areas, and authorities have urged the public to exercise restraint.

The dispute reportedly began when an argument broke out between members of two communities during a wedding procession in Sabgadh, leading to stone-throwing. Several people were injured in the incident, officials said.

Next month's general elections marks the first since last year's deadly Gen-Z protests that toppled the K P Sharma Oli-led coalition government.

Voters are set to elect 275 members to Nepal's House of Representatives in elections scheduled for March 5. Former Chief Justice Sushila Karki became Nepal's interim prime minister in September (ANI)

(The above story is verified and authored by ANI staff, ANI is South Asia's leading multimedia news agency with over 100 bureaus in India, South Asia and across the globe. ANI brings the latest news on Politics and Current Affairs in India & around the World, Sports, Health, Fitness, Entertainment, & News. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now