India News | Sikkim Extends Lockdown Till June 14

Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. The Sikkim government on Sunday extended the statewide lockdown for one more week till June 14 in view of the raging COVID-19 pandemic, an official release said.

Gangtok, Jun 6 (PTI) The Sikkim government on Sunday extended the statewide lockdown for one more week till June 14 in view of the raging COVID-19 pandemic, an official release said.

The lockdown restrictions were scheduled to end on June 7.

However, the state government also announced some relaxations like allowing hardware shops to remain open from 7 am to 2 pm.

Shops selling groceries and vegetables can now remain open from 7 am to 2 pm, an extension of two more hours.

The decision was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang to review the management of the pandemic in the Himalayan state.

Cabinet ministers, the chief secretary, the director general of police and other senior officials attended the meeting.

The state government has decided to vaccinate 65,000 people in the age group of 18 to 44 years in June.

Sikkim has reported 17,111 COVID-19 cases and 273 fatalities so far.

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now