Colombo, April 27: Two suspected Islamic State (ISIS) militants were killed in exchange of fire with the Sri Lankan Army last night. Reports claim that the troops were met with gunfire after they raided a makeshift bomb factory in Kalmunai town, located in eastern part of the country. The identities of the deceased are yet to be revealed.
Military spokesman Sumith Atapattu has confirmed the death of at least two suspects during the raid last night. While speaking to reporters, Atapattu said firing was initiated by the militants when they spotted the team of security personnel approaching towards their hideout. Probe Shows Attacks Were 'Retaliation For Christchurch', Says SL Minister.
One civilian was also caught in the exchange of fire, and has succumbed to the injuries incurred, the spokesperson confirmed.
The military raid comes amid a state of emergency imposed across the island nation following the terror attack on Easter Sunday. Around 260 persons were killed in the coordinated strikes, targeting four churches and three major luxury hotels in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa.
The Sri Lankan government has suspected the involvement of an international hand, considering the coordinated and organised manner in which the serial blasts were executed.
The Islamic State (ISIS) claimed responsibility of the attack nearly two days after the terror strike. Security analysts, however, doubt their involvement, claiming that the group is aiming to secure publicity over extremist attacks reported in any part of the world.
Security agencies in Sri Lanka have charged the National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ), a local militant extremist group, of organising the terror strike. At least 18 suspects linked to the outfit have been rounded up so far.