World News | Roadside Bomb Kills 6 Afghan Civilians in Helmand Province

Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. A roadside bomb killed at least six Afghan civilians on Sunday in the southern Helmand province, including a woman and two children, an official said.

World. (File Image)

Kabul, Jun 28 (AP) A roadside bomb killed at least six Afghan civilians on Sunday in the southern Helmand province, including a woman and two children, an official said.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

Also Read | West Bengal Records Highest Single-Day Spike of 572 COVID-19 Cases, Taking Tally to 17,283: Live News Breaking & Coronavirus Updates on June 28, 2020.

Another woman in the vehicle was wounded in the explosion, which took place in Washer district, said Omar Zwak, spokesman for Helmand's governor. He did not have additional information on her condition or whether the victims were from one family.

Zwak blamed Taliban insurgents for the attack. Afghanistan has seen a recent spike in violence, with most attacks claimed by the local affiliate of the Islamic State group, which is fighting both the Taliban and the Kabul government.

Also Read | 'Godzilla' Dust Cloud Reaches US After Travelling 8,000 Kms From African Sahara Desert, People Share Pics of Hazy Skies.

A US-Taliban peace deal signed in late February provides for the withdrawal of US and NATO troops from Afghanistan. It's been touted as the country's best chance at peace in four decades of war.

On Saturday, two employees of the country's human rights commission were killed when their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb in the capital Kabul.

According to a statement from the commission, the victims of the attack were Fatima Khalil, 24, a donor liaison officer, and Jawid Folad, 41, a driver. No one claimed responsibility for that attack..

In early June, IS took credit for a bombing at a mosque in Kabul that killed two people, including the prayer leader. Eight worshippers were also wounded.

A week later, another prayer leader and three worshippers were killed by a bomb blast inside another mosque in Kabul. Eight other worshippers were wounded. The Taliban condemned the mosque attacks.

The US has blamed IS for a horrific attack last month on a maternity hospital in the capital that killed 24 people, including two infants and several new mothers. (AP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now