RJD Chief Lalu Prasad Yadav Gets 5-Day Parole to Attend his Son Tej Pratap Yadav's Wedding With Aishwarya Rai
RJD Chief Lalu Prasad Yadav seeks five-day parole (Photo Credit: PTI/File)

Ranchi, May 8: Former Bihar Chief Minister, Lalu Prasad Yadav, was granted parole from May 10 to May 14 to attend his son Tej Pratap's wedding. Earlier, the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief had written an application to the jail authorities seeking a five-day parole.

The wedding which is scheduled on May 12, in Patna. Lalu's son, Tej Pratap Yadav, will be tying the knot with Aishwarya Rai, who is the grand-daughter of former Bihar chief minister Daroga Rai and daughter of senior RJD legislator Chandrika Rai.

Lalu Prasad Yadav has been imprisoned at Birsa Munda Central Jail since December 23 last year after he was convicted in three fodder scam cases. Currently, the RJD chief is undergoing treatment at the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS), Ranchi.

According to a report published in Hindustan Times, RJD legislature and its legal advisor Bhola Yadav said, “We submitted an application seeking Prasad’s temporary release from jail on parole for five days from May 10 to May 14. Prasad wanted to attend his son’s marriage ceremony to full fill his religious duty.” Bhola further added, “We are anticipating authorities’ approval by Wednesday (May 9). A prisoner has a right to seek parole on valid grounds as per Bihar Prisoners (Parole) Rules, 1973, duly adopted by the Jharkhand government after the creation of the state. Rule 6 (c) says that marriage of son or daughter is a valid ground for seeking parole.”

Earlier, the RJD chief had also applied for provisional bail on health grounds before the Jharkhand high court. According to the report, his petition is likely to come up for hearing on May 11. On March 17, Yadav had been shifted to RIMS after he complained of discomfort and chest pain by the Birsa Munda Central Jail authorities. He was later referred to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for specialised treatment. After undergoing treatment for about a month he was referred back to RIMS on May 1.