A recent study appearing in the Journal of Neurology prove that excessive belly fat can shrink the grey matter volume in your brain. The Grey matter that is said to shrink due to belly fat contains most of the brain's 100 billion nerve cells, and the white matter is filled with nerve fibres that connect the brain regions. The study conducted on 9,652 middle-aged people at Loughborough University, measured body mass index (BMI) and waist-to-hip ratio. The BMI results found out that about one in five of the participants were obese. Tired of Your Belly Fat? Here are 6 Scientific Ways to Get a Flat Tummy.
An MRI scan participants' also tracked the brain volume. Factoring in the physical activity, age, smoking and BP that may also have lead to reduced volume. The study still observed that about 1291 people had "had a BMI of 30 or higher and a high waist-to-hip ratio had the lowest average grey matter volume, at 786 cubic centimetres; 514 people with a BMI of 30 or higher but without central obesity had an average grey matter volume of 793 cubic centimetres.", as reported by ANI.
Belly fat has already been linked to various other health issues right from dangerous heart health issues to mental health issues like depression.
Here are a few exercises that can help burn belly fat.
Crunches are known to be the best exercise to burn belly fat. Crunches put the pressure on your core and also strengthens the core apart from flattening your belly.
Easy steps to perform Crunches-
- Carefully lie down flat on your back on a mat. Keep your knees bent and feet on the ground.
- Slowly raise your hands and place them either behind your head or crossed on your chest.
- Slowly lift your upper torso off the floor inhaling and then exhale.
- Inhale again as you get back down. Exhale as you come up.
- You might want to divide it into sets, and as a beginner, you can start with ten times.
Steps to perform crunches video-
The side crunches will help you get rid of side belly fat. You have to begin this exercise in the same way you start your regular crunches. All you have to differently is that you need to tilt your legs to the same side simultaneously with your shoulders.
Steps to perform side crunches video-
Lunges are known to be one of the best exercises to flatten your belly. Here's how you can do the Lunge twist exercise.
- Stand with your legs slightly apart upto the hip-width and knees slightly bent.
Now lift your hand in front of you and align them with your shoulders.
- Perform lunges by taking a big step forward with your right leg, and then sit down as if on an invisible chair. Make sure that your knees make a 90-degree angle with the floor. While keeping your spine straight.
- Simultaneously the left leg should be positioned backwards, supported by the toes.
- You can stop at this at the beginning or can take a step ahead by twisting your torso to the right and then to the left.
- Maintain the lower body in the same position.
Lunge twist exercise video-
Cardio exercises such as Running, cycling, jogging and swimming can also help you cut down belly fat.
Here's a cardio routine to help burn belly fat.
You must also maintain a healthy, low-carb, high protein and fibre diet to support your weight loss routine. A healthy balance of proper nutrition, exercise and mental health helps your body reach weight loss goals.