India News | COVID-19 Cases in Bhubaneswar Rising Due to Violation of Safety Norms: Official

Get latest articles and stories on India at LatestLY. With 317 COVID-19 cases reported in the Odisha capital in the first 10 days of July, the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) has found that the rise in the number of coronavirus patients was mainly due to gross violation of social distancing norms, an official said.

India (File Image)

Bhubaneswar, Jul 12 (PTI) With 317 COVID-19 cases reported in the Odisha capital in the first 10 days of July, the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) has found that the rise in the number of coronavirus patients was mainly due to gross violation of social distancing norms, an official said.

The spurt in the number of COVID-19 cases was witnessed after people started coming here from hotspot districts with restrictions being eased and many patients from outside the state capital are being admitted to city hospitals, BMC commissioner P C Chaudhury said.

Also Read | Quantum Reflects on Being a Motivational Rapper and Utilizing Eloquent Wordplay.

"A total of 317 cases were reported between July 1 and 10. We found 61 of them were reported in various hospitals and 212 patients have travel history and come in contact with coronavirus patients detected earlier. Others are locals," he said on Saturday.

Overall, 640 COVID-19 cases have been reported in the state capital and 317 of them are active, Chaudhury said.

Also Read | Tehreek-E-Hurriyat Chairman Mohd Ashraf Sahrai Detained by J&K Police From His Residence in Srinagar: Live News Breaking & Coronavirus Updates on July 12, 2020.

A total of 314 people have recovered from the disease so far, and eight died of it in Bhubaneswar.

"The surge in COVID-19 cases is due to gross violation of health safety and social distancing norms and people coming from hotspot districts," he said.

The BMC in association with the Regional Medical Research Centre (RMRC) had begun serology surveillance.

"It aims at ascertaining the immunological status of the community and high-risk groups in the city," RMRC director Saghamitra Pati said.

BMC sources said the surveillance in 25 wards will be completed in two rounds.

Pati said the samples have been collected randomly from different high-risk groups such as healthcare staffers, security personnel, media persons, municipal workers, prisoners, shopkeepers and urban slum dwellers.

Chaudhury said the civic body is taking different measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus disease.

He said a special strategy has been put in place for the slums where about 33 per cent of the Bhubaneswar population lives.

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)

Share Now

Share Now