Every year, the 29th of September is celebrated as World Heart Day. The day is observed to create awareness about heart health and various other cardiovascular diseases that have become common today. The theme this year is 'My Heart, Your Heart' and according to the World Heart Federation, the objective behind the theme this year is, "'It’s about saying to ourselves, the people we care about and individuals all around the world; what can I do right now to look after MY HEART… and YOUR HEART?' It also resonates with the professional cardiology and healthcare audiences who dedicate themselves to looking after ALL OUR HEARTS."World Heart Day 2018: What’s The Story Behind The Heart Symbol?
However, while we are talking about our hearts, have you ever given a thought, how amazing an organ our heart is. The whole body receives blood only due to that smaller than our fist-sized heart! Here are a few interesting facts about the human heart that you should know of.
- Did you know a man's heart beats weighs heavier than a woman's heart? On an average, a man's heart is heavier than a woman's heart by about 2 ounces or 56 gms.
- It is claimed by studies that most heart attacks are likely to happen on Mondays, especially during the morning time.
- Did you know that the signs of heart attack are a lot less evident among women? Research believes that women tend to show other minor symptoms of heart attacks like nausea, shoulder pain, etc. instead of the chest pain.
- Your heart beats about 100,000 times every day, pumping about 2,000 gallons of blood. Your heart pumps blood that can flow through the 60,000 miles which is almost 10000 km of blood vessels.
- It might seem freaky, but your heart can continue to beat even after being disconnected from your body.
- Your sex life directly impacts your heart health. An active sex life can reduce the risk of heart diseases to half.
- Do you know why you haven't heard of heart cancer? It is because the heart cells stop dividing.
- Death from a broken heart is rare but real. It is called the broken heart syndrome.
- A man's heart beats slightly slower than a woman’s heart.
- In about a minute, all of the blood in your body travels through your heart once.
Watch the video for more interesting facts about the human heart:
All these facts goes to show how important our heart is in terms of the functioning of the whole body and that our heart health should be our prime concern. World’s Smallest Heart Pump That Supports Failing Heart Used For The First Time In India.