Tehran, Sept 22: At least 24 were killed and 53 injured in an attack carried out by suspected separatist militants on a military parade in Iran's south-western city of Ahvaz. The death toll is feared to go up, said officials at the district hospital as several of the survivors are said to be in critical condition.
At least four gunmen were behind the assault, local media reports claimed, adding that two have been neutralised by the security forces, whereas, two others were apprehended and taken into custody. Pompeo Warns Iran of 'action' over Attack on US in Iraq.
The militants used a park, close to the parade site, to launch the attack. Among the deceased include 8 members of the Iran Revolutionary Guard, whereas, others are reported to be civilians, including women and children who had gathered to attend the parade.
— Seth Frantzman (@sfrantzman) September 22, 2018
The military parades are being organised in all parts of Iran to commemorate the 1988 war with neighbouring Iraq.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif blamed “a foreign regime” backed by the US for the attack. His statements, reports said, targeted Saudi Arabia which is accused of sponsoring the Sunni secessionists in the Shia-dominated nation.
"Terrorists recruited, trained, armed and paid by a foreign regime have attacked Ahvaz," he said in a tweet, adding: "Iran holds regional terror sponsors and their US masters accountable for such attacks."
The government of Saudi Arabia was yet to react to the veiled allegations levelled by Zarif.
Earlier in the week, while addressing a military parade in Tehran, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said his nation would not be cowed down by the "terrorising approach" of his American counterpart Donald Trump, adding that the latter is a "dictator" akin to Iran's once-supreme leader, late Saddam Hussein.