When it comes to glamour and fashion, we always think about Cannes Film Festival. The popular film festival is a perfect event to bump into celebrities. Cannes Film Festival is a yearly film festival held in France. The festival features all the new films and documentaries. Cannes Film Festival is also called as 'Festival de Cannes' in French. The selected movies hail from different countries and those movies are of different genres. The Cannes Film Festival is basically a celebration of the art of cinema.
The main objective of the Cannes Film Festival has always been highlighting the works of French and international filmmakers. The film festival also promotes the film industry all across the world. Ever since the first festival which was held in a small French seaside town in 1946, all its participants have remained true to this idea till date. Marked by the glamorous film festival, Cannes has become an international luxury destination now. The location attracts top celebrities from across the globe.
The festival has been a favourite venue for film-lovers, industry professionals and as well fans who want to see their favourite film stars closely. The festivals’ celebrated status has been created for the appearance of stars from all across the world over the decades and also for the extensive media coverage. However, this year, after a delay of two months, the 74th edition of the Cannes Film Festival finally began at the French Riviera. The festival will continue till July 17, 2021. Last year, the film festival was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic. Now, let us check out five interesting facts about the ‘Festival De Cannes’ here:
- The red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival is about 2 kilometres long. It is changed three times a day and approximately, 40 times during the entire tenure of the festival.
- The festival’s budget comes from public funding which goes up to 20 million Euros.
- To strengthen the international reputation of the festival, six new languages were added in 2010.
- Toulouse-Lautrec’s cousin, Jean-Gabriel Domergue had designed the first Cannes Festival poster in 1939. However, the festival was cancelled due to World War II.
- The idea of the Cannes Festival belongs to the film critics, Emile Vuillermoz and Rene Jeanne and the French Association of Artistic Action Director (AFAA), Philippe Erlanger.
There will be no virtual component at Cannes 2021. Also, there will be no empty seats between the attendees. But they are required to be vaccinated or tested for Covid-19 every 48 hours.
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Jul 07, 2021 02:24 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).