Chester, Sep 10 (AP) Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy will go on trial in January accused of raping two women and sexually assaulting a third alleged victim.

Mendy spoke only to confirm his name during a 45-minute hearing at a court in Chester, northwest England, on Friday.

Also Read | IPL 2021: Franchises in Talks With Charter Companies To Fly Players From England to UAE.

A date of Jan. 24 was set for his trial. He is accused of four counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

The 27-year-old Mendy, a France international, listened to proceedings translated to him via a French interpreter sat behind him in the dock.

Also Read | Sri Lanka vs South Africa 1st T20I 2021 Live Streaming Online on SonyLIV and Sony SIX: Get Free Live Telecast of SL vs SA on TV and Online.

The charges were not put to him and no pleas were entered during the hearing, which dealt largely with administrative matters ahead of the trial.

A further hearing will be held on Nov. 15. Eleanor Laws, defending Mendy, said there would be an application to dismiss the charges on that date.

The alleged attacks, on three different women including one under 18, are said to have happened at his home address.

Mendy was charged on Aug. 26 with three counts of rape relating to an alleged incident in October, and with the sexual assault of a woman in early January this year.

He is also charged with raping a woman last month.

Mendy was refused bail last month and is currently in a prison in Liverpool.

Mendy has been suspended by City pending an investigation.

He joined City from Monaco in 2017 and has won the Premier League three times and the English League Cup twice.

He played against Tottenham on the league's opening weekend. (AP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)