Damascus, Sep 8 (AP) A building collapsed in Syria's northern city of Aleppo, killing at least nine people, including three children, the Syrian state television reported.

The TV said the illegally built, five-story building in Aleppo's southern neighbourhood of Fardous collapsed in the evening on Wednesday. It said five women, three children and an elderly man were killed.

Also Read | 31,000-Year-Old Skeleton Found in Indonesia Missing Its Lower Left Leg Is Earliest Known Evidence of Amputation.

The report also said two people were injured and seven nearby buildings were evacuated for fear they might collapse as well. Search operations were still ongoing amid the rubble in case more people might be buried under the debris.

The cause of the collapse was not immediately known.

Also Read | UN to Pay Tribute to Victims of Terrorism Including Those Killed in Mumbai Terror Attack.

Fardous was a rebel-held neighbourhood until December 2016, when government forces with the help of Russia and Iran captured eastern parts of the city, which had been held by insurgents for four years.

Many buildings in Aleppo were completely destroyed or damaged during Syria's 11-year conflict, which has killed hundreds of thousands and displaced half the country's pre-war population of 23 million.

Aleppo is Syria's largest city and was once its commercial center.(AP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)