New Delhi, November 11: The date 11th November is observed as National Education Day, to commemorate the birth anniversary of the first education minister of independent India, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad. The visionary leader, who was also an independence leader, always emphasized on the importance of education.
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was an Indian scholar and the senior Muslim leader of the Indian National Congress during the Indian independence movement. Following India's independence, he became the first Minister of Education in the Indian government. PM Narendra Modi also tweeted on his anniversary:
Remembering Acharya JB Kripalani and Maulana Abul Kalam Azad on their birth anniversaries.
Two exemplary personalities, their notable role during the freedom struggle and emphasis on public welfare, equality, education and justice will never be forgotten.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) November 11, 2018
Below are some memorable quotes by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
1. "Many people plant trees but few of them get fruit of it. "
2. "Slavery is worst even if it bears beautiful names."
3. "You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
4. "Educationists should build the capacities of the spirit of inquiry, creativity, entrepreneurial and moral leadership among students and become their role model."
5. "Education imparted by heart can bring revolution in the society."
Abul Kalam Azad is commonly remembered as Maulana Azad; the word Maulana is an honorific meaning 'Our Master', and he had adopted Azad (Free) as his pen name. His contribution to establishing the education foundation in India is recognised by celebrating his birthday as "National Education Day" across India.