Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills US Swimmer: What Is Naegleria Fowleri? Know the Symptoms
Brain eating amoeba (Photo Credits: Wikipedia)

Brain-eating amoeba kills a man in North Carolina, USA. The man identified as Eddie Gray was a victim to this after he went for a swim on July 12, in Fantasy Lake water park in Cumberland County with his group from Sedge Garden United Methodist Church in Kernersville, North Carolina. Gray died from an amoeba called naegleria fowleri. The amoeba went up the victim’s nose and took his life. On July 22, Eddie Gray lost his life to the brain-eating amoeba. In September 2018, Fabrizio Stabile from New Jersey died after he took a swim in the BSR Cable Park in Waco, Texas. Know more about brain-eating amoeba and its symptoms. After the outbreak of flesh-eating bacteria, brain-eating amoeba is keeping people away from their favourite water sports. Man Dies After He Inhales Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba at a Water Park.

What is Brain-Eating Amoeba?

Naegleria fowleri is a type of amoeba that enters through the nostrils and travels to the brain and starts to destroy the brain tissues. It’s also known as brain-eating amoeba. It gets the name after Malcolm Fowler who reported initial cases of the amoeba attacks. Naegleria fowleri is usually found in freshwaters that are contaminated with the soil. The amoeba breeds in temperatures as high as 45-degree C. They can withstand temperatures as high as 65 degrees. According to The New York Times, out of 145 people infected this between 1962 to 2018, 141 have died. Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills US Woman After She Used Tap Water in Neti Pot.

Symptoms

    • The symptoms of the brain-eating amoeba are very similar to the flesh-eating bacteria. The symptoms include

    • Fevers
    • Headaches
    • Lethargy
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
    • Neck stiffness
    • Photophobia
    • Seizures
    • Cranial nerve abnormalities

The only prevention that could be found so far was nose pins to prevent the amoeba from swimming up the nose. The amoeba is not harmful if swallowed. It only affects if it goes up the nose.