In a shocking incident, a Wisconsin man contracted a rare blood infection from his pet dog's saliva that caused him to have his limbs amputated. The man named Greg Manteufel visited the hospital last month thinking that he merely had the flu but it unfortunately turned out to be a dangerous infection caused by a type of bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus. This devastating bacteria found in the saliva of dogs and cats can turn perilous inside a human body. It is very rare that this happens but if it enters the human bloodstream via bites, licks or close contacts it can cause a havoc in human body.
According to reports by New York Post it was in a week that the doctors told him that they would have to amputate his legs because the disease caused Manteufel's "blood pressure to plummet and the circulation in his limbs to dramatically decrease." Eventually, the doctor's were forced to amputate portions of the 48-year-old Manteufel's hands and then half of both forearms.
On the Gofundme page the family members have described the ordeal by saying, "Greg first lost both feet, after a second surgery to remove more damage on legs, they amputated thru both Knee caps. Surgery is scheduled to remove a portion of both hands as the damage from the sepsis is to extensive.
Furthermore all areas of Greg's body and tissue was affected by the bacteria and the sepsis, the Drs say his nose will need extensive repairs, which means he will need plastic surgery to rebuild a new healthy nose. Greg is going to need several more surgeries, lots of healing time and his family by his side to get thru this life changing event. "
They have further requested for some help as well, they said, 'Any help you can give the family will be greatly appreciated. Greg's recovery will be a very long process and he will need his family by his side, they will need help financially to be able to be with him during the coming months with surgeries as well as waiting to be fitted for leg and hand prosthesis which will allow him to become independent again.'
What is Capnocytophaga canimorsus?
A rare health condition that is derived from pets caused by the bacteria Capnocytophaga canimorsus. A study conducted on this bacteria named Capnocytophaga canimorsus: an emerging cause of sepsis, meningitis, and post-splenectomy infection after dog bites describes this health condition as, 'Newly named in 1989, Capnocytophaga canimorsus is a bacterial pathogen found in the saliva of healthy dogs and cats, and is transmitted to humans principally by dog bites.' It further describes the condition's severity and says, 'An estimated 484 patients with a median age of 55 years were reported, two-thirds of which were male. The case-fatality rate was about 26%.' The study also mentions that the clinical presentations included severe sepsis and fatal septic shock, gangrene of the digits or extremities, high-grade bacteremia, meningitis, endocarditis, and eye infections.
Here's a list of other infection you could get from your pets:
- Dog Tapeworm
Most of these common infections are transferred from pets to humans, via food, water contaminated by their hair, faeces etc. or by direct contact of saliva/bites or scratches etc. If you have pets at home you might want to be a little bit more careful. Apart from getting a regular checkup for your pets done to check if they are having any diseases that could communicate to you, you must also get yourself checked from time to time. Getting yourself and your pet vaccinated is also necessary. Monsoon Care Tips for Pets: Easy & Effective Ways To Keep Your Dogs & Cats Safe Do you take your pet dog to the beach? You might want to know if Taking Your Dog to the Beach Safe? Florida Pet Labrador Died of Saltwater Poisoning, Know All About This Deadly Condition