Is Taking Your Dog to the Beach Safe? Florida Pet Labrador Died of Saltwater Poisoning, Know All About This Deadly Condition
Is taking dogs on the beach safe? (Photo credits: Pixabay, andres chaparro)

Not all dogs love playing in the water, but eventually, they get along. Dog owners would know the struggles of taking their pets for a bath. But not all the species are scared of water. There are several playful ones, who make a better company at the beach. A lot of families take their dogs along for a beach outing or just playing along. But a good day at the beach turned into the last memory with a dog for a dog owner in Florida. Chris Taylor, a student from South Florida University, who often took his Labrador retriever lost him due to the intake of saltwater from the sea. His pet died due to the symptoms of a condition known as saltwater poisoning.

Taylor has thus given a good warning to many such pet owners, to be careful about taking their pets on the beach. The two had gone to the Honeymoon Island State Park Dog Beach for some time. It was a routine for them. But probably on their last visit, the dog unknowingly took in too much salt water. So after a good playful time, his labrador fell sick. The dog started vomiting and even suffered from diarrhoea. The dog was not even eating anything, not even his favourite chicken meal. A day after the dog became unresponsive. Growing fearful of his condition, Taylor took him to the vet. But it was too late, the dog was already suffering from saltwater, and he could not be recovered. The incident is indeed sad, but it brings into light the condition of saltwater poisoning.

What is Saltwater Poisoning?

It is a very damaging condition for dogs and cats. The consequences of having too much saltwater can be felt even on a human body. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) website, "When humans drink seawater, their cells are thus taking in water and salt. While humans can safely ingest small amounts of salt, the salt content in seawater is much higher than what can be processed by the human body." It also leads to dehydration.

In animals, the typical symptoms are vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite. It also causes abnormal fluid accumulation within the body, excessive thirst or urination. All of this result in damage to the kidneys, leading to coma. When not treated in time, it can lead to death.

Vets thus advise that not to take dogs on the beaches for a longer duration. Also, saltwater poisoning may not be easily detected. It can come on gradually, but it could get too late in the slow detection of the poisoning. So the next time you plan to take your pet along on the beach, be careful you are not spending too much time. Make sure; your dog is not entering too much water to gulp down on a lot of saltwater.