Jammu, Feb 16 (PTI) Army troops guarding the Line of Control (LoC) on Friday opened fire to bring down Pakistani quadcopters at two different places in Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch district, officials said.

However, the flying objects returned to the Pakistan side after briefly hovering over the Indian territory in Balnoi-Mendhar and Gulpur sectors, they said.

Also Read | Uttar Pradesh: Yogi Adityanath Government Resolves To Eradicate Filariasis in State by 2026.

They said a search operation was launched in both the sectors to ensure there was no dropping of weapons or narcotics by the quadcopters.

Officials said troops noticed two quadcopters entering the Balnoi area of Mendhar around 6.30 am and opened fire but the remotely controlled machines returned.

Also Read | Ratha Saptami 2024: Celebrations Begin at Arasavalli Surya Temple in Andhra Pradesh's Srikakulam (Watch Video).

Similarly, a couple of quadcopters hovering over Gulpur sector around the same time returned in the face of firing by Indian troops, they said.

Earlier on February 12, Army troops had fired on an enemy drone after picking up its movement in Mankote area of Mendhar sector.

Pakistan is using drones to drop narcotics and weapons in Jammu and Kashmir.

The Jammu and Kashmir Police recently announced a cash reward of Rs three lakh to anyone providing information about drones flown from across the border with a purpose to drop weapons and narcotics.

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)